Atlanta Bus Accident Attorney
Compensation for Bus Accident Injuries
Over the years, the Atlanta personal injury attorneys at the Grant Law Office have witnessed a considerable rise in the number of bus-related collisions throughout the state of Georgia. Whether commercial, municipal, school, or chartered, more often than not the collision is a result of human error or gross negligence. While environmental factors and unexpected conditions can impact a bus driver's ability to pilot the vehicle, it is within his control - and to a greater degree, the company's control - to preserve the lives and safety of passengers. Failing to do so can end in disastrous consequences and severe legal ramifications.
To those of you who have been affected by a bus accident, we highly recommend speaking with one of our experienced accident attorneys. For over 30 years, Grant Law Office has been providing understanding and comprehensive representation to those who have been negatively impacted by vehicle collisions.
Bus Accident Verdicts and Settlements
- $250,000 - MARTA bus accident requiring surgery.
Click here for more verdicts and settlements.
Who Is Responsible for a Bus Accident in Atlanta?
- The Driver - The first line of responsibility (and quite often the cause of the accident) is the driver of the bus. Bus drivers have a strict obligation to safely transport you, your loved ones, and everyone else to and from their arranged destinations. When a driver fails to uphold this duty in any number of ways, he can be held responsible for any injuries that result. Typical causes of driver negligence include:
- The Bus Company or Municipality Operating the Bus - Liability may be imposed as a result of:
- Poor bus maintenance and basic mechanical upkeep
- Failure to properly train bus operators and managers
- Failure to maintain a safe working environment for bus station employees
- Overbooking buses with an inordinate amount of passengers
- Pushing drivers beyond the limits of safe driving regulations
- Additional Drivers - In some instances, a bus accident is the direct result of another driver's negligence on the road. Because of a bus's poor handling and odd center of gravity, any type of reckless driving around a bus under power can have a negative impact on the bus driver's ability to compensate.
- The Bus Maintenance Company - In some cases, an independent company may be hired to do maintenance on a company’s buses. If their negligence contributed to your injury, they can be held liable.
- Municipality Charged with Maintaining Roadway - If a hazardous condition on a roadway (such as a pothole, ice, oil, etc.) contributed to the accident that caused your injury, the entity responsible for maintaining the road may be held liable.
- The Driver of Your Vehicle - If you were a passenger in a vehicle, and the driver’s negligence or recklessness contributed to your injury, he or she may share some liability.
Statute of Limitations
City buses, tour buses, party buses, shuttle buses, school buses, and intercity buses like Greyhound Lines are all considered "common carriers," meaning that they transport passengers on regular routes at set rates. The difference is that buses run by a municipality have a shorter statute of limitations for personal injury and wrongful death than privately-owned bus companies do.
In Georgia, the statute of limitations for filing a claim against a private company is two years from the date of the injury or death. However, if you plan to file such a suit against a municipality or MARTA, there are requirements to provide formal notice of a claim, sometimes within six months.
Get the Help of a Georgia Bus Accident Attorney
Speak with the experienced Atlanta bus accident attorneys at Grant Law Office to explore your legal options. Bus accidents are a traumatic experience and we appreciate the severity of your situation - with a free consultation, we can evaluate your case and provide you with the information you'll need to make an educated decision. Call (866) 249-5513 or (404) 995-3955 for more information on how our firm can assist you.