home personal injury federal tort claim

Atlanta Federal Tort Claim Attorneys

What Are Federal Tort Claims?

Federal tort claims are civil claims for damages that arise from civil wrongs committed by federal employees. The Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) is the primary law that allows individuals to bring these claims against the federal government.

Torts are wrongful acts that harm another person or their property. Common examples of torts include negligence, battery, and intentional infliction of emotional distress bright on by the misconduct of federal employees. Under the FTCA, federal employees can be held liable for these and other torts if they were committed while acting within their employment.

To bring a federal tort claim, an individual must first file an administrative claim with the appropriate federal agency. If the claim is denied, the individual can file a lawsuit in federal court.

The FTCA is a complex law with many requirements and exceptions. Therefore, it is essential to consult with an experienced attorney if you believe you have a federal tort claim. The attorneys at Grant Law Office are skilled in handling complex cases and have a deep understanding of the Federal Tort Claims Act, which governs these types of cases. We work tirelessly to get our clients the compensation they deserve and hold the government accountable for its actions. If you have been injured due to the negligence of a federal government employee, you should contact a federal tort claims attorney to discuss your case at (404) 995-3955.

Back to Top

What Are My Rights Under the FTCA?

The Federal Tort Claims Act of 1946 provides a process for individuals to file a claim against the United States government for damages resulting from a government employee's negligence or wrongful act. To file a claim under the FTCA, an individual must exhaust all available administrative remedies. If the claim remains unresolved, the individual may file a lawsuit in federal court.

The FTCA applies to all federal government executive agencies, including the Department of Defense, the Department of Veterans Affairs, and the Social Security Administration. The U.S. District Court administers the FTCA for the Northern District of Georgia in Atlanta.

The FTCA is a “waiver of sovereign immunity” and therefore allows individuals to sue the government for damages that would otherwise be barred by the doctrine of sovereign immunity. However, the FTCA does not waive the government’s immunity from suit for certain types of claims, including claims arising out of the government’s discretionary functions, claims arising out of the government’s intentional torts, and claims arising out of the government’s constitutional violations.

In Georgia, the FTCA applies to all state and local government agencies, including the Georgia Institute of Technology and the University of Georgia. However, the FTCA does not apply to claims for medical malpractice or intentional torts.

Back to Top

What Damages Can I Pursue? How?

The FTCA allows for a wide range of damages to be recovered, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and punitive damages. If you have been injured by a federal employee, you should contact an experienced attorney to discuss your rights and whether you may be able to file a claim under the FTCA.

A qualified lawyer at Grant Law Office can help ensure your claim is filed correctly and on time. In addition, our attorneys can negotiate with the other party or their insurance company to settle your case. Finally, we can represent you before a judge or jury should your case go to trial. If you have been injured in an accident, you may have a lot of questions about what you can do next. There are many different steps to take after an accident, including learning how to seek compensation through a federal tort claims attorney. Call (404) 995-3955 today for a consultation!

Back to Top

Contact us today for a free and comprehensive case evaluation.

We require no legal retainer or upfront fees,
and you pay nothing unless we prevail.

Phone: (404) 995-3955

Our Results

Wrongful Death Day Care Case

View More