Preventing Spinal Cord Injuries in Atlanta
Spinal cord injuries can cause catastrophic damage. Even a mild injury can cause lifelong difficulties with movement, coordination, and nerve or organ function. Spinal cord injuries are also some of the most expensive and severe injuries to treat, due to the extensive medical care and therapy required.
Whenever possible, it is best to avoid serious injuries by preventing them. Since most spine trauma occur in accidents or falls, taking precautions when riding in a vehicle, walking through a dangerous area, or participating in sports can help reduce your risk of serious trauma. If you are injured in an accident caused by negligence, however, the skilled Atlanta spinal cord injury lawyers at Grant Law Office can help. Contact us today for a free consultation by calling (404) 995-3955 or (866) 249-5513.
Auto Accident Prevention Tips
To reduce the risk of a spinal cord injury in a car accident, consider the following safety tips:
- Always wear a seat belt when you drive or ride in a motor vehicle.
- Make sure children are seated in an appropriate car safety seat, and that the seat is attached correctly to the seat of the vehicle.
- Never drive while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Never ride with a driver who is under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Slip and Fall Prevention Tips
Many severe injuries are the result of a slip and fall, especially among small children and elderly people. The following tips can help make your home safer and reduce the risk of a spinal cord injury due to a slip and fall:
- Secure loose rugs or carpets to prevent someone from tripping and falling.
- Install safety gates and window guards in homes with infants or small children.
- Keep toys, shoes, and other household items off the floor or out of the main traffic areas.
- Regularly shovel and salt walkways in icy weather to prevent falls.
- Installing grab bars or handrails can help elderly individuals prevent falls.
Swimming Accident Prevention Tips
Swimming and diving accidents cause a number of spinal injuries each year. Protect those you love at the beach or pool by following the safety tips:
- Do not dive into water less than 12 feet deep. Always check the depth of water before diving.
- Do not run or allow children to run while on a pool deck or near a pool.
- Avoid pushing, shoving, and horseplay near water. Follow all rules and warning signs at water parks, swimming pools, and public beaches.
Sports Injury Prevention Tips
Spinal cord injuries can also occur during sports and games, but the risk is reduced when safety measures are taken, including:
- Ensure participants have the proper safety equipment for the activity. This may include appropriate helmets, guards, or other padding.
- Examine equipment for damage that could cause a sudden fall or other injury.
- Check the sports area before playing or participating. Cracks, broken surfaces, debris, and other obstacles could cause a fall that leads to a spinal cord injury.
Reliable, Effective Guidance and Representation in Georgia
Spinal cord injuries can cause lifelong impairments. Georgia law allows injured victims to seek compensation from any party responsible for their injuries. If you need help protecting your legal rights, contact the experienced Atlanta attorneys at Grant Law Office by calling (404) 995-3955 or (866) 249-5513. Your initial consultation is free and confidential.
- Neurologists Recommend Surgical Monitoring to Prevent Spinal Cord Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injury Prevention - Mayo Clinic
- Evidence-Based Practice in Primary Prevention of Spinal Cord Injury
Contact us today for a free and comprehensive case evaluation.
We require no legal retainer or upfront fees,
and you pay nothing unless we prevail.
Wrongful Death Day Care Case