A 5,000-square-foot brick house on Blackberry Lane was leveled early this month when a possible gas leak caused a powerful explosion in the early morning of July 1, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The three seriously injured victims were taken to three different hospitals where they are currently recovering. All are listed in good or stable condition.
According to the Hall County Fire Chief, there were two men and one woman in the house at the time of the explosion. One of the men, the woman’s adult son, was blown out of the house. A neighbor was able to free him from the debris and help him away from the house, but the two others had to be dug out of the house rubble by emergency crews, who arrived within 30 minutes of the 5:30 a.m. blast. The Fire Chief stated that a small gas leak may have been the cause of the explosion. The neighborhood has no natural gas line so the family used a liquid propane tank. According to the Hall County Fire Marshall, every gas line and appliance will be examined to determine the source of the gas leak.
A slow or small gas leak is very dangerous because it can go unnoticed and build up to the point of causing a devastating explosion. Gas companies in charge of the installation, maintenance, and repair of gas lines have the duty to ensure that all components are fastened and sealed properly and that gas lines are not damaged or compromised in any way. Gas company employees who rush through this process, or gas companies who fail to implement specific standards, increase the risk of gas leaks and thus gas explosions.
The skilled personal injury lawyers in Atlanta at The Law Offices of Wayne Grant, P.C., have years of experience handling various types of personal injury cases in Georgia. We have the knowledge and resources to help you recover just compensation for the losses resulting from your accident. To tell us how we can help you, please call us at 866-249-5513 or 404-995-3955 for a consultation.