Cerebral Palsy Treatments
Atlanta Lawyers Discuss Treatment Options for CP
Cerebral palsy has been a part of the human condition for all of recorded history, afflicting thousands of people every year and forcing individuals into incredibly difficult situations. Characterized by a dysfunction of motor skills, cerebral palsy (CP) is present at birth but does not progress beyond the immediate symptoms. It is incurable and inexplicitly linked to a child’s early brain development while still in the womb.
Despite being well acquainted with the symptoms for generations, only recently have medical professionals been able to make strides in lessening their impact. Today, there are many treatment options available that can help individuals born with cerebral palsy live happy, healthy, and full lives. Depending on an individual’s specific needs and the severity of their condition, a combination of surgery, therapy, and medicine may be administered to assist in their continued development.
The key to any successful treatment program is research and careful consideration. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of surgeons, social workers, trainers, and therapists scattered throughout the country that specialize in cerebral palsy treatment; finding the right one that seems to just "fit" your family’s needs can make all the difference in furthering your loved one’s abilities. The following are just some of the options you may encounter in your search:
- Drug Treatments - Usually one of the first options that families will encounter, once a diagnosis of cerebral palsy is confirmed, are medicinal treatments. Drugs can help stem the tide of muscle fluctuations and out of control spasms that so often wrack a person dealing with the condition. It is often a case of trial and error for patients, with doctor’s attempting to find the right balance for their specific symptoms.
- Physical and Occupation Therapy - Because cerebral palsy targets muscle groups and muscle tone in particular, one of the primary modes of treatment involves a combination of physical and occupational therapy. Starting at a very early age, this type of conditioning often goes hand-in-hand with drug treatments, with the goal of helping individuals gain greater control over larger muscle groups and fine points of maneuvering. Traditionally such exercises focus on specific tasks, such as walking, eating, showering, and climbing limited inclines.
- Apparatus and Device Assistance - Unfortunately, the world we live in is primarily built around individuals who are not struggling with a physical disability. While there have been vast improvements in our communal awareness over the past few decades, millions of individuals are still forced to work, play, and exist in an environment that does not have them in mind. Fortunately, for individuals with cerebral palsy, there have been a number of improvements with equipment designed to help them get around. From wheel chairs to railings, there are a number of new and improved methods of mobilization for those dealing with CP.
For more information, we highly recommend speaking with any one of the excellent cerebral palsy centers and organizations centered in the greater Atlanta metropolitan. With their assistance you, and your family, will be able to build a program that suits the needs of your loved one and help them improve their overall quality of life. Contact the Atlanta cerebral palsy attorneys and staff at Grant Law Office today at (866) 249-5513 or (404) 995-3955 to discuss your claim.
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) Services
- Cerebral Palsy - Treatment Overview
- Cerebral Palsy Treatment - Mayo Clinic
- Treatments and Therapies - MedlinePlus
- How is Cerebral Palsy Treated? - National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Contact us today for a free and comprehensive case evaluation.
We require no legal retainer or upfront fees,
and you pay nothing unless we prevail.
Wrongful Death Day Care Case