Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reem has joined the Mayor’s Summit for Safer People and Safer Streets. According to an Atlanta In Town news report, the mayor has created a Safer Streets Advisory Committee to plan and carry out initiatives to make our roadways safer. They are tasked with developing projects that improve the conditions throughout Atlanta for pedestrians and bicyclists.
There are a number of plans already in motion. For example, by the end of the year, Atlanta will have a bicycle-sharing program in place that involves 500 bicycles and 50 rental stations. The city will also begin installing protected bike lanes.
In the meantime, there are steps you can take to help you avoid being in a pedestrian or bicycle accident.
When you are out walking:
- Walk against traffic. When there are no sidewalks, walk towards traffic so that you can see what’s coming.
- Cross where it’s safe. Only cross the road at intersections and in crosswalks
- Make eye contact. Make sure drivers see you before stepping onto the roadway
- Wear bright clothes. When walking at night, make sure drivers can see you by wearing bright and reflective attire. It is also advisable to carry a flashlight.
When you are biking in Atlanta:
- Ride with traffic. You have a right to the road, so ride with traffic and obey traffic laws.
- Choose your roads carefully. It is advisable to select streets that have bike lanes. When this is not possible, stick to well-lit roadways that are free of potholes and uneven surfaces.
- Make sure you are seen. Install a white headlamp on the front of your bike and reflectors on your seat, pedals and tires. You should also wear reflective gear including reflective tape on your helmet.
- Use hand signals. A car is less likely to hit you if the driver knows which way you are going.
If you are injured in an Atlanta pedestrian or bicycle accident, make sure you research your legal options. Financial support may be available for your medical bills, lost wages, suffering and other related damages. An experienced Atlanta intersection accident lawyer can help you better understand your legal rights and options.