How Your Own Home Could ‘Shock’ You
Our entire lives run off of electricity. From our phones to our computers to our microwaves, the human race would be lost without electricity. However, this power, while convenient, does come at a cost. Electricity is incredibly dangerous if not administered correctly. It can cause catastrophic injuries, fires, and even death. That is why we have written this article to warn you about common electrical risks in your home and explain when you can pursue a claim for compensation.
Outlets can be found in most households across the United States. They’re a staple of the modern home. However, as the main source of power, they can also be incredibly dangerous. An outlet near water, such as in a bathroom or kitchen, can quickly turn deadly. Water conducts electricity, and so a waterlogged outlet can give you quite the shock.
Overtaxed outlets, with too many adapters and appliances plugged in, can also be dangerous. If too many things are plugged into an outlet, that can cause a surcharge of energy, which can, in turn, cause the wiring to catch fire. Overused outlets are a common cause of house fires, which can be, needless to say, incredibly devastating.
Appliances, whether they be toasters or computers, require electricity to run. That means that an appliance that is too close to water, is overused, or is wired poorly, has the possibility to cause serious harm. You should always make sure to avoid getting appliances wet, especially when they are plugged in. Also, be sure to check the wires coming out of the appliance for any defects and avoid plugging too many appliances into one outlet.
Sometimes the outlet you need to use is out of reach. Or perhaps you need to do some work in the yard, and your power tool needs to be plugged in with an extension cord. However, extension cords carry all the same risk as an outlet, with the added issue of the wiring. A defective extension cord creates an incredibly high fire risk, as a power surge could easily cause the wires to spark and flame, and you could be shocked if the plug is improperly designed.
Poor wiring is one of the most dangerous problems to have in your home. A negligently wired house is at a higher risk for fire, arc faults, and power surges. A cracked wire, with the safety coating falling off, is a major shock hazard, especially for small children. While we’ve all experienced static shock, electric shocks, if they are powerful enough, can cause serious burns and even be fatal.
You should always keep your eye out for risky wiring. It may not be obvious until you have a professional investigate for you, but some common signs of poor wiring include:
- Loose switches and outlets
- Cracked wire insulation
- Frayed wires
- Singed or burned wires
- Wiring that has been chewed by animals
If you notice any of these danger signs, whether it be in the wiring in your home or the wiring attached to an appliance, you should shut off the power supply right away. That could mean unplugging the appliance or going to your breaker box and shutting off power temporarily. If the wiring issue is within your house, contact an experienced electrician to take a look and fix the issue for you. Otherwise, you run the risk of a house fire.
Electricity and Negligence
Sometimes we accidentally plug too many appliances into an outlet and cause a spark. However, a great number of house and apartment fires are caused by an act of negligence, which could be due to a negligent apartment owner, the party responsible for wiring the building, or the manufacturer of the appliance. If your house fire or injuries were caused by negligence, then you deserve justice.
The husband and wife team at the Grant Law Office have been working tirelessly to aid those injured through negligence for years. With a wealth of experience, a passion for helping others, and an incredible law firm, our Atlanta personal injury attorneys can provide sound legal advice to injured parties. If poor wiring caused you or your loved one injury, call us at (404) 995-3955 or toll-free at (866) 249-5513 and schedule your free consultation today.
Contact us today for a free and comprehensive case evaluation.
We require no legal retainer or upfront fees,
and you pay nothing unless we prevail.
Wrongful Death Day Care Case