Magnet Balls Recalled for Ingestion Risks
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has recalled Magnet Balls because of the potentially fatal injuries they can cause if swallowed. Officials say that if two of the high-powered magnet balls are swallowed, they can link together inside a child’s intestines. This can cause intestinal obstructions, sepsis, tissue perforations, or even death.
According to a 2012 news report by the American Academy of Pediatrics, there have been reported incidents of children swallowing these small magnets dating as far back as 2002. Between 2008 and 2012, CPSC recorded more than 200 such reports, including instances involving emergency surgery. A 20-month-old baby also reportedly died from his injuries after ingesting the magnets. Consumers are being told to immediately stop using the products and to return them for a $20 store credit.
The CPSC is a government agency that is tasked with regulating and inspecting products that are potentially dangerous for consumers. When hazardous or defective products make it into the marketplace, the CPSC will conduct an investigation to determine if the product manufacturer should take action. When there are serious issues or a refusal to cooperate with the CPSC, an automatic recall will be issued.
If a recalled or potentially defective product has hurt you or a loved one, it is important that you contact a skilled lawyer right away. Financial compensation may be available for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and emotional distress. It is not easy, however, to hold a corporation accountable for their wrongdoing. A reputed product liability attorney in Georgia will be able to advise injured victims or their families regarding their legal rights and options.
Contact us today for a free and comprehensive case evaluation.
We require no legal retainer or upfront fees,
and you pay nothing unless we prevail.
Phone: (404) 995-3955
Wrongful Death Day Care Case