Atlanta Parking Lot Accident Attorneys
Operating a vehicle in a parking lot requires focus and attention – but not all drivers exercise caution. When a driver is inattentive, driving too fast, or engaging in any negligent driving conduct, innocent people can pay the price, suffering serious, catastrophic, or fatal injuries. These deadly collisions occur far too often in Atlanta, in parking lots all over the metro area, including:
- Shopping Centers
- Medical Offices
- Event Venues
- Restaurants, Bars
- Grocery Stores
- Parking Garages
As reported by NBC News and the National Safety Council, staggering numbers of accidents occur in parking lots in the USA, with 60,000 people sustaining injuries in parking lots each hear. Over 500 deaths occur each year. This happens everywhere and Atlanta is no exception. These dangerous accidents are most often the result of negligent driving conduct, including:
- Driver distraction: Cell phone conversations, texting, emailing, talking with passengers, inattention
- Speeding: Drivers who move too rapidly through a lot or parking structure
- Failure to exercise care backing out: Drivers may pull out of a parking space without ensuring there are no pedestrians behind them
- Failure to stop at crosswalks: Drivers may not slow down at marked crosswalks at malls or other venues
- Aggressive driving: Particularly during the busy holiday shopping season, some people drive in an aggressive manner, putting pedestrians at risk
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs: Driving recklessly while under the influence occurs everywhere. This type of conduct is particularly dangerous in parking lots where people are walking to and from their cars.
Parking lot accidents between a vehicle and a pedestrian, or two vehicles that collide can leave an innocent person suffering very serious or fatal injuries, including:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Disfiguring facial injuries
- Back injuries
- Joint injuries
- Head and neck injuries
A driver who is searching for a parking spot in one of Atlanta’s thousands of parking lots may not be aware that parking lots have risk factors that are much different than those posed by street or highway driving. These risk factors include, but are not limited to:
- Drivers who exceed a safe speed in areas where pedestrians may be walking
- Drivers who back out too rapidly
- Drivers who enter and leave parking lots or parking garages without sufficient care
- Busy parking lots and garages during sale days and holidays
- Poorly maintained driving surfaces.
- Inadequate lighting
To pursue justice following an injury or death due to a parking lot accident, a thorough investigation is necessary to determine the who the responsible party or parties are. In some cases, a driver is solely responsible, but in others, the parking lot owner or operator may have played a role in the accident, due to inadequate lighting, unsafe driving conditions, or security failures. An experienced personal injury lawyer will evaluate every detail of the incident to determine whose actions caused or contributed to harm. It is wise to engage a law firm early enough to investigate and obtain photographic and other evidence and to interview witnesses. Although the Georgia statute of limitations (the deadline for filing a lawsuit for injury or death) is typically 2 years from the date of injury or death, hiring a law firm earlier provides the best opportunity to obtain crucial and sometimes, irrefutable evidence of negligence or wrongdoing.
At Grant Law Offices, our husband-and-wife team take a strategic approach to personal injury law, with thorough and professional case development. We offer free case consultations in cases of severe injury or loss of life. Our legal team takes on a limited number of significant injury cases, and you can expect personalized care and attention from start to finish. Wayne Grant is one of the top 5% of lawyers in the state, selected by his peers through independent research by Super Lawyers, and is listed as AV Preeminent, 5 out of 5, the highest possible rating.
Contact us today at (404) 995-3955 if you or a loved one has been injured in a parking lot accident in Atlanta or elsewhere in Georgia.
Contact us today for a free and comprehensive case evaluation.
We require no legal retainer or upfront fees,
and you pay nothing unless we prevail.
Phone: (404) 995-3955
Wrongful Death Day Care Case